What are fields and their use?
A field is the basic unit of data entry in a record. To define a new field, we need to create and give it a name. A field can be a text, string, integer etc. On our platform, one can create the following field types:
- Strings- A string can be anything (alphabets, numerals, symbols, special characters etc). It has a maximum length of 255 characters. (No default value required)
- Integer- An integer is a whole number (not a fraction) that can be positive, negative, or zero. Therefore, the numbers 10, 0, -25, and 5,148 are all integers. It has maximum length of 11 which means means that no matter what, the integer will be shown at most with 11 digits. (Default value is needed to save this field)
- Boolean- Its a binary variable that can have one of two possible values, 0 (false) or 1 (true). (its by default “True”, you can change it to “False” from drop down)
- Datetime- This field type is used for values that contain both date and time parts. We store it in “YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SS-05:00” format. (No default value required)
- Text- It can be anything. It does not hold value maximum than 65335 bytes. Please note bytes are not characters, its the length of the text field. (No default value required)
Whatever field you create, you can store appropriate default value or leave it blank (only those field types which allows blank value). It will not be applied to existing contacts but when you modify/update the contacts, the field will be created for them too.
However, the fields will be created for every contact which is coming into the system after the fields have been created.
Use of fields:
Field are used to store data for contacts to identify them or segregate them based on the value stored. This can be done using segments. Lets say, you want to differentiate between contacts in terms of their gender. So you can create a field and send appropriate value (male,female) while storing the contacts in Maropost.
Then using segments, you can filter contacts as well and use them in campaigns meant for appropriate group of contacts.